||29/12/2003 (+180 days)
This is the earliest leaked build of Windows Server 2008.
It was already in the stage where it uses a .WIM installation method like Windows Vista (then Codename ''Longhorn'').
It uses the Classic Windows Theme since it has some Services disabled since it is being used as a Server not as a Client.
Use of Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 and an older CPU ~2003 is recommended.
The installation will take a long time (~2 hours or more) with this configuration.
You need to partition before installation, since this build does can't partition during the setup.
http://www.thecollectionbook.info/information/install_partitioning/ (Step 1 to 11)
After installation you are greeted with a 4-bit resolution on the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
but Windows installs the compatible driver, but does not enable it.
Follow the following instructions to enable it.
- Right click on the Desktop
- Select Properties
and go to the Settings
- Click on Advanced
and go to the Adapter
- Click on Properties
and go to the Driver
- Click on Update Driver
and select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
and click Next
- Select Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install.
and click Next
- Deselect Show only Compatible Hardware
and in the left box select S3 Graphics, Inc.
- In the Right Box select the only Driver available S3 Graphics SuperSavage/IXC (Microsoft Corporation)
and click next to install the Driver, you run into a Warning just click Yes
- Then you only need to reboot the machine to let the driver load, it will still be on 640x480 resolution but after logging in you can change it via the regular means.
There are more images available in the gallery.